Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tips on booking a hotel

Tip#1 When booking a hotel make sure to book one that is not haunted.

Boy I wish I had that tip a few days ago when I booked a hotel for Eric and I in Augusta GA.
We don't have a huge travel budget here at Crispy Cat so we need to get hotels that are modest in price. Usually that is no problem. I have booked many a hotel in the past, all with great results. This time not so much. First off the picture on the computer was a not exactly representative of the actual hotel. Because it looked sort of like crap on the computer but like total ass in real life. As Eric pointed out, it looked like corporate America took a dump all over Augusta.

The hotel itself was on a road that was closed but we were able to get to with a detour. So already it was like a horror movie. We checked in and got our keys and headed up to our rooms. Eric noticed that the elevator looked like they were caging monkeys in it because it looked like the walls had poop thrown all over them. When I got to my room my key would not work. So I went downstairs and got a new one. When I went back up to the room and it opened other people were already staying in the room. At this point I had started laughing hysterically for some reason. And I laughed all the way to the front desk, the front desk agent apologized and told me that they were having some problems with there computer system because they have a ghost and he is upset over the remolding. He said it so nonchalant like it was nothing to have a disgruntled ghost in a hotel. I was in shock. I am so afraid of ghosts and this guy was saying it like you were a total ninny if a pissed off ghost was a big deal to you. I really needed more explanation and more information about this ghost so Jerry went on to tell me that 30 years ago when they were building the hotel a constructing worker fell out of the 5Th floor window and died, now his ghost lives on the 5th floor and ever since they decided to remodel he has not been happy. He apparently goes into the computer system and changes things around. Jerry said that he has seen him on the camera before. I was afraid to ask but I had to know so I asked what he looked like. Tall and thin with long scraggly white hair. Jerry saw the look of sheer terror on my face and told me not to worry that he stays on the 5th floor and he won't bother me. In fact no guests stay on the 5th floor right now. Then he was done with our conversation and took a phone call. I called Eric and told him there was a ghost in the hotel and that I was freaking out. He did not seem overly concerned but I think he was a little afraid too because he said he didn't mind if we switched hotels. I called another hotel but it was booked, it seems they were all booked.
When I went back to the front desk to talk to Jerry about leaving he informed me that all the hotels in Augusta were booked due to a baptist convention. Then he got annoyed and told me that I would not find a hotel in all of Augusta that someone didn't die in so I might as well stay put.
That night I got the worst sleep of my entire night. I thought I found bloody claw marks on the wall and insisted Eric look at them. He thought they were just dirt marks but they looked like someone was trying to claw their way out of the room to me. Clawing until there was just bloody stumps for fingers! I kept the T.V. and the lights on all night. I woke up every hour or so to catch a glimpse of a rerun of The Nanny or Mad about you.
In the morning I got up early and had a lot of time to kill before the demo. I kept myself busy by talking to house keeping about the ghost. They confirmed the story and added there own personal experiences with the ghost. Apparently one housekeeper found him to be a pleasant ghost and very helpful. Turning the radio on for her or plugging in alarm clocks.
I could tell the tale of what happened at the complimentary Continental breakfast but that is another story and too upsetting.
Tomorrow I will re-live the nightmare of the Continental breakfast.

No comments: