Thursday, September 25, 2008

Is this the end of the world?

Here in Asheville NC and the surrounding area it feels like Armageddon when trying to get gas. I don't know about other places but here if you want gas you have to wait in line for sometimes 2 hours. Cars will be backed up so bad they need the police there to direct traffic and break up fist fights. For reals people were fighting at the gas station. Cars are abandoned on the side of the highway, its pretty creepy.
This inspired me to be even more dedicated to my cause to drive as little as possible and challenge myself to find ways to get by without a car. Now I have to drive to work twice a week. I live too far to walk and I don't have a bike. I could try running to work but it would be a really long run, I think I could make it there but getting home might be another story. Luckily for me I live in a small town where I can walk to most everything. Here is an example of how I am saying FO to the oil companies......
When I got home on Tuesday my baby jogger had arrived and Teddydigital had already put it together for me (yay)! So yesterday after Sadie's nap I planned out what errands I needed to run. I put the baby in the running stroller and headed out. First we walked to the movie place and returned a movie and got a new movie. Then we walked over to the gas station to see if there was a long line for gas (just out of curiosity) and of course there was. By the way this is the universe's way of punishing all those people who don't care about our environment and drive SUVs. Now all the SUV people have to wait on the gas lines every few days because most places have a $40 limit on gas. Not to mention how much gas costs now. Anyway, so after that I picked up the pace and I did my run while pushing the baby. We ran for 45 minutes and then we walked over to the pharmacy so I could pick up something and then instead of just heading home we walked around town. It was a lot of fun. I did not drive the car once. Another thing I have been doing is reliving my days of living in NYC when it comes to getting groceries. Instead of doing a huge trip once a week I have been walking over to the store every day or so and just getting the things we need for that day. Its actually very nice and very enjoyable. Since the gas crisis I have been spending more time outside getting fresh air and exercise and I think its really improving the quality of my life.
Please, if you want to share your story about how you are adapting to the gas crisis or just how you are trying to change your habits to help the environment please post it in the comments and I will put it in the blog!

No comments: