Monday, September 29, 2008

Vegan party food for a non-vegan crew...

On Friday night I hosted a small intimate gathering to celebrate my friend Murry's special day. Just a few people were coming, none of them are vegan. I struggled with the idea of making food for them that was non-vegan, I would never cook meat but I didn't know what to do about the pizza I was making. Should I do dairy on it for them and then a non-dairy pizza for me? As I stood in the grocery store mulling over my options I decided that I would serve the food I wanted and let people decided if it was something they wanted to eat.

I made a vegan pizza with a tons of veggies and nutritional yeast sprinkled on top along with hummus and carrots and my friend Sarah made a vegan split pea soup. For desert I tried my hand at vegan baking....not so great. The brownies tasted OK but looked like molten lava and smelled like carcinogens. They were definitely not the kind of yummy treat that you could cut a square of, it was more like you took a spoonful and tried not to burn off the first few layers of skin on your tongue. Over all the food was OK. I need to learn some new recipes and expand my horizons. I'm not really a "foodie" so it doesn't bother me to eat a baked potato with melted rice cheese every night.

If any of our fans have some great vegan party food recipes that they love please send em' in. We are going to start doing profiles on our "special" readers in upcoming issues of our newsletter, sort of like the "Reader Spotlight" in vegnews. So send in any tidbits you might have laying around in your head and you just might end up a winner!!

No comments: