Thursday, April 17, 2008

Give it up for Mike who dose the right thing

I would like to give a shout out to my Father Mike for being a good human and an animal lover.
My Dad lives out in the country here in North Carolina. He lives with my Mother Mary and 3 dogs, Jiggs, Sparky and Tess and 2 horses Showtime and Double Dot and soon 2 donkeys and 2 kittens.

Yesterday my Father was driving down his road with a young man that works on his property when a small Shiz tuz ran out of the tall grass and into the road. Despite his best efforts he ended up hitting this little guy with his truck. So Mike pulls over and and finds this poor little pup in bad shape, his little jaw was broken. Mike picked him up and rushed him to the vet. Let me take a moment to mention that the young man in the car noted that most people who live out there would have just left the dog to die, I find this disturbing but I know its true because I have seen dogs dead on the road out there before. Anyway, Mike takes him to the vet where he has to have 2 operations for his broken jaw and it ran him around $700 bucks.

Then Mike finds the owner. She is a gal who is pregnant and has 2 small kids and lives in a trailer. She claims that she was going to put him on his lead but she felt to sick so she just let him run loose. This pups name by the way is Wicket, how cute. Out in the country people let their dogs run loose all the time and it is the stupidest thing you can do. Besides cars killing them there are other animals to consider. Dogs who are chained up, and by the way I don't believe in chaining a dog all day and night either get attacked and fight with loose dogs. Anyway the lady said she could not pay the bill and that was fine with Mike because he was the one who hit Wicket with his truck. However I can't help but think this was an avoidable tragedy but I won't even go there because all that matters is that Wicket is OK and he got all the medical treatment he needed.

I could go on a really long tirade about how "mountain culture" needs to evolve with the rest of the world when it comes to animals but I just don't have the energy today. Nor do I think the rest of the world is really all that evolves when it comes to animals. I find it really disgraceful how I have seen dogs treated here in Western North Carolina it makes me really sick. I just keep praying for all the animals here and all over the world that some day people will stop abusing and mistreating them and recognize the beautiful little creatures that they are. Dogs don't deserve to live their entire lives outside on chains or in kennels all alone.
One would think that everyone knows that but I guess not.

No comments: