Thursday, June 26, 2008

B is for Bird Dog

and that is what a golden retriever is...a bird dog. A dog that is bread to go out hunting and retrieve the poor ducks from the water after an evil, nasty hunter shoots them. A man like Dick Chaney who was hunting baby quail when he shot that Texas layer, would need such a dog to gingerly bring back the little quail that he murdered.
I have no such need for this type of service from my Golden. However, nature is in charge and so when I rescued this gentle giant I had to take the good with the bad. The good being is a loving, easy going, over sized lap dog. The bad being he has an infinity for bring dead birds in to the house. This is what happened last week when he dropped a dead bird on our arm chair. This also happened this morning when he raced into the house with something in his mouth and was whining and racing around. All I saw was the little stick-like bird legs poking out of one side of his mouth. I told him to get the hell out of the house and he mistook that for DROP BIRD. It was so vile. This poor mangled bird laying on my kitchen floor. I just put my hands over my eyes and started screaming as my brother-in-law who is vising had to get a paper towel and toss it back outside. Then of course Otto ran back outside and retrieved it and stood on the porch looking in with this little bird in his lips wondering what the big deal was. Gross, and he wants to lick the baby.

So I need to win the lottery so I can open an animal sanctuary for all the dogs and cats and other pets that are homeless due to the high amount of foreclosures. Either that or someone can donate the money to me. Well just let me know if anyone out there is interested. Thanks.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so happy to hear about Sadie. She sounds precious. I miss you guys at Crispy Cat. Tell everyone I said hello, hope you guys are gearing up for Expo East again this year! It's going to be a fun one.