Monday, July 30, 2007

The tomato bombing.

I need to tell the world what happened in our office today at Tree Huggin' Treats!!!
It was so funny, I'm still laughing. I think I'm going to wet myself. I can't stop laughing.

Ok, I'm composing myself.
So, Leila brought in tomatoes from her backyard last week. Some of the tomatoes were a little soft and then they sat here all weekend. So, come Monday morning, they were just begging to be chucked at someone.

Eric decided to chuck a few of the cherry tomatoes at me early on in the day. So I, in turn, chucked a few back. In the end I had cherry tomatoes all over the back of my shirt and on the walls of my office. Fine.

Later on.....

At lunch time, Eric announced that today was the day he was going to be able to hit the pole out back with one of the tomatoes. For months he has been trying to hit the pole out back with various pieces of rotten fruit. He never makes the shot but he never gives up either. It's a hard shot because it's off the loading dock and the pole is on an angle. But mostly he just has bad aim.
So we go out to the loading dock. Eric had four rotten tomatoes and I'm armed with one extra squishy tomato. While Eric warms up his arm, I warm up mine. While he figures out where to throw, I do likewise. Eric takes a deep breath and lets the first tomato go. He misses. He actually missed the first three and then on the fourth makes contact and the rotten tomato explodes on the pole. We cheer and jump up and down. Now it's my turn, as Eric is jumping up and down, arms raised in a victory dance, I take my shot. Timing is everything and I know once I throw it I have to run. I meant to hit him in the back, but I missed and ended up hitting him in the back of his head! It was glorious!! When the tomato hit, it splatted and stuck to his head before it fell off. His hair was encrusted with seeds and pulp. I swear I saw little stars going around his head and heard birds chirping. He lurched forward and paused as if in denial about the tomato bombing he had just been the victim of. I knew I didn't have much time. I would have to save laughing for later, so I booked out of there.

I fled the scene and ran into the warehouse. I thought he would have the remains of the tomatoes, so I ran to The Fig's desk and ducked behind his chair. The Fig was like " I don't know what you're doing but get away from my desk!" (such a grump).

To my surprise, Eric was not brandishing the remains of the tomato. So I just started laughing and laughing and laughing. And I have been laughing ever since and that was about an hour ago. It was hands down the funniest thing that has ever happened in this office!! I wish I had it on film so I could share it with everyone.

If a person was depressed and on top of a building ready to jump, all you would have to do was show them a video of me beaming Eric in the head with a tomato and they would come down from the ledge. I'm considering going around to mental hospitals and telling depressed people this story. I think I may have just found the cure for depression. All over the world people in hospitals suffering from depression will be given rotten tomatoes to chuck at someone's head. The results will be amazing. This is what they must mean by the food-mood connection.

I know Eric is planning his revenge and I'm sure I will hate whatever it is, but for now I don't even care. I'm just laughing and laughing and laughing. I recommend that everyone throw a rotten tomato at their manager. If you don't have a manager just come over to our office and you can throw one at Eric.

3 comments:

the figgum said...

i am not a grump. okay, i am, but not in this instance. i just don't like you enough to get caught in the crossfire and take a tomato in the face. considering the fact that ketchup packet fights are a regular occurence around the office, i think my intuition served me well. by the way, why are the employees of an environmentally conscious company wasting perfectly good food? those ketchup packets and a few tomatoes could feed a village of gutterpunks and lot-kids for a week.

ERIC said...

My office is now a bunker, filled with enough tomatoes from my sister and her boyfriend's garden to provide both ammo and sustenance for one to two months depending on the frequency and intensity of the attack. Cherry, Roma, and some humongous heirloom varieties are stacked like sandbags. It's not so much about revenge as it is to make sure there are villages of gutterpunks and lot-kids starving. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

money in the bank sharty what u drank said...

The entire Republic of Farkministan needs your extra veggies to support their music mission. This is an outrage!